Become a Trustee
Action Homeless have opportunities for new people to join our existing Board of Trustees. At an exciting time of growth and development, we are looking for Board members who can bring their knowledge, skills and expertise to support the charity in its mission to break the cycle of chronic homelessness and prevent people from having to sleep rough.
You will become part of a dynamic and committed team providing strategic oversight to improve the lives of people affected by homelessness in Leicestershire.
Action Homeless is an ambitious and forward thinking social business with clear aims and objectives, as set out in our Strategic Plan 2018-23. We’re looking to recruit new trustees, from a range of backgrounds, who can help us to achieve these over the coming years by bringing enthusiasm, personal experience and imagination.
You will need to be able to commit the necessary time and energy to Action Homeless, attend bi-monthly board and sub-committee meetings, have a real interest in the aims of the charity and demonstrate independent judgement and consistently high standards.
For an informal conversation about the role please contact Mark Grant, Chief Executive, on 07949153721. To apply please send a CV along with a covering letter stating what you could bring to the role to email@example.com.
About Action Homeless
Turnover 2020/21: £3,393,758
No. of staff: 63
No. of volunteers: 32
Founded in 1973, Action Homeless has been part of the Leicester community for almost 50 years. Today the charity manages a portfolio of 53 properties, providing homes to 225 people who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness. Action Homeless has developed a strengths based framework and coaching model which puts people affected by homelessness at the centre of the support that we provide. As well as help to find more secure housing, our specialist staff team and extensive partnership working, enable people to address any other needs that they may have.
Action Homeless leads a number of innovative projects, with a focus on helping those with long histories of homelessness to progress to a more settled lifestyle. These include Leicester’s only ‘Housing First’ service, which offers tenancies with wraparound support, and avoids people having to enter a more traditional staircase approach to securing permanent housing. We also provide specialist accommodation for people on discharge from inpatient mental health services and for female survivors of domestic abuse.
In order to truly break the cycle of homelessness, we know that people need stability and have therefore developed permanent accommodation offers in partnership with local landlords. This means we are able to offer homes to people for as long as they need them, removing the anxiety induced by being placed in temporary accommodation and the threat of having to move on. We continue to build on this area of our work and to engage with local property owners to make this possible.
To further enhance opportunities for people to lead independent and fulfilled lives, we have developed a social enterprise, Action Trust, which offers volunteering, work placements and employment to people with lived experience of homelessness.
Working in partnership is central to Action Homeless’ ethos and as active members of Leicester’s Homelessness Charter, are contributing to collaborative efforts to address and respond to homelessness and rough sleeping in the city.
“It’s about people here, it’s the centre of what we do. It’s the highest standard we can provide. We are flexible and we adapt to where people are at.”
Action Homeless Employee
Our impact 2020 – 2021
- Responded to 845 calls to our helpline, 395 of which were from people who were homeless at the point of contact
- Provided accommodation to 405 people, 157 of whom we helped to move to more suitable housing (111 of these were permanent homes)
- Implemented measures, alongside our partners, to protect people from Covid-19. 8 people living in our accommodation tested positive for Covid-19 during the course of the year, this equates to just under 2% of our total client group.
- Supported and housed 20 families at our specialist refuge and provided play support and engagement activities for 26 children.
- Enabled 91% of our clients to access local health services. 64% of people that we supported felt better able to manage their mental health following our intervention. 68% felt better able to manage their physical health.
- Secured funding to launch a new resettlement service which supported 87 people as they moved into their own homes
- Supplied 250 people with 450 digital products to ensure they were able to remain connected during the pandemic and avoid loneliness and isolation
- Coordinated the distribution of 4.5 million meals to people experiencing food poverty in Leicester
“Becoming a Trustee of Action Homeless has given me a valuable insight and understanding of the complex needs our homeless community have. Our charity helps to rebuild lives and support progress to overcome difficulties.”
Claire Hurst, Action Homeless Trustee
"You do brilliantly well at rehousing people. This is probably the longest I’ve been in one place. You know you've got security not just for one month or one year. I’ve got a house for life and I’ve been allowed to turn it into my home"
Action Homeless Resident
“Being a trustee of Action Homeless has given me the opportunity to learn more about the issues that create homelessness and to understand how those issues can be addressed. At the same time I am able to bring my skills and experience to the work of the board.”
Maggie Pankhurst, Action Homeless Trustee